Attorney – Jo Nolte’s legal practice concentrates in the areas of regulated industries, government relations, and in matters of a general corporate nature. In the regulated industries market, she works with telecommunications, insurance, insurance receiverships, financial, mortgage brokers, water and sewer, and energy-related businesses. Jo also represents a large number of small business clients. This small business practice focuses on business formation matters, succession planning, contracts, employment and other general corporate matters.
Jo’s legal career includes having served as Assistant General Counsel for the Virginia State Corporation Commission, as well as being in-house counsel to a privately held, national corporation before entering private practice. Non-traditionally, she has also founded, owned, and operated an insurance surplus lines brokerage agency and an insurance consulting business.
Jo has over thirty years of experience in handling regulatory and business matters.
- Over thirty years’ experience in the regulatory and business law marketplace.
- Selected by peer vote to the 2007 and 2008 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the area of communications law, included in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 editions in areas of communications and energy law.
- Named the Best Lawyers’ 2013 Richmond Communications Law “Lawyer of the Year”.”
- Named to the 2009 Class of “Leaders in the Law.”
- Named in Virginia Business magazine’s December 2010 and December 2014 “Legal Elite” in the “Legislative/Regulatory/Administrative” category.
- Named in Virginia Business magazine’s December 2001 and December 2002 “Legal Elite” in the “Lobbying/Regulatory” category.
- Selected in Richmond Magazine’s July 1999 edition as one of the “Top Lawyers” in the Richmond, Virginia area in public utility law.
- Member of the FINRA Dispute Resolution Board of Arbitrators, 2003.
- FINRA Chairperson Qualifications, 2004
- Frequent lecturer in Virginia continuing education courses for insurance agents.
- Minnesota Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company, Member of the Board of Directors, June 2014 – March 2015.
B.A., Randolph Macon College, 1976, “With Honors”
Phi Beta Kappa
Omicron Delta Kappa
Porter Hardy Academic Scholarship
J.D., University of Richmond, 1979
Insurance Professional Designations
- Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriter
- Chartered Life Underwriter
- Certified Insurance Counselor
- Fellow, Life Management Institute
Virginia State Bar
- Administrative Law Section Member
- Administrative Law Section Board of Governors, 2001-2005
- Administrative Law Section Chairperson, 2004-2005
- Multi-Jurisdictional Practice of Law Task Force Member, 2004-2008
- Clients’ Protection Fund Board At-Large Member, 2009-2015
- Chair of the Clients’ Protection Fund Board’s Finance Subcommittee, 2011-2012
- Vice Chair, Clients’ Protection Fund Board, 2012-2013
- Chair, Clients’ Protection Fund Board, 2013-2015
Virginia Bar Association
- Administrative Law Section Member
- Administrative Law Section Council, 2001-2004 and 2008-2012
- Administrative Law Section Council, Vice Chair 2012 – 2013
- Administrative Law Section Council, Chair 2014-2015
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Virginia Barristers Alliance, a subsidary of the Virginia Bar Association May 2016-Present
- Named as a Fellow of the Virginia Law Foundation in 2017
- Fan District Board Member (Fall 2012 to May 2013)
- Chair of Fundraising for the 45th Fan District Association Holiday House Tour
- Member, Fan District Association
- Lower Fan Neighborhood Committee Member Liaison 2009-Present
- House on Tour for FWC 2008 Kitchen and Garden Tour
- 2010 Kitchen and Garden Tour Planning Committee
- 2012 Fan Woman’s Club Auction Committee
- 2016 Fan Women’s Club Grants Committee
Richmond City Bar Association
Federal Energy Bar Association
Virginia Law Foundation
Civic and Charitable Memberships
Fan District Association Member
Fan Women’s Club Member
Member, Grace and Holy Trinity Church
Former Trustee and Past President, Virginia 4-H Foundation
Network of Enterprising Women
Appalachian School of Law, Task Force Member planning for the Governor’s First (2013) and Second (2015) Biennial Natural Resources and Energy Law Symposiums, 2013, 2015
“When filing a federal trademark, Ms. Nolte made a difficult process simple and easy. She keeps us in the loop with consistent communication and updates on the progress of our trademark!”
Morgan Montgomery and Perkins Morgan
Paisley & Jade